China’s 13th Five Year Plan (2016-2020) delivered a roadmap for the country to deliver its target of creating a “Healthy China”. This provides a rich source of opportunities for UK healthcare organisations to develop productive collaborations with a number of Chinese partners.
China is planning to:
- Increase the number of qualified doctors and medical assistants to 2.5 per 1,000 people.
- Increase the number of GP doctors to 2 per 10,000 people.
- Systematically train 500,000 resident doctors to adequate standards.
- Establish 1-2 public hospitals in each county.
- Focus on providing universal basic health insurance for both of urban and rural citizens.
- Reduce premature mortality from critical chronic diseases by 10%.
- Reduce the infant mortality rate to 7.5%, the mortality rate for children under five years to 9.5% and the mortality rate for childbirth to 18 per 100,000.